Each Ashburton team is required to have a coach. The coach, generally a parent volunteer, attends to the training and game day matches. Coaches are the backbone of our club and they could arguably have one of the most important roles. Ashburton Netball Club recognises the effort put in by coaches and are very happy to cover the costs of coaching courses to develop coaching skills. Netball Victoria offers various courses for coaches, click here for further information.
Coaches are also required to have current VNA registration. Netball Victoria registration for coaches will be paid for by the club. Please click here to register.
Working with Children
The Working with Children Check assists in protecting children from harm by ensuring that people who work with, or care for them are subject to a screening. All coaches and team managers must have a valid Working With Children Check. The application process is quick and easy, you can apply online and finish the process at a post office near you. Click here to apply and for more information.
Coach notes of interest
- Coaches should follow the rotation policy for year 3, 4 and 5 teams, this will ensure all players have the opportunity to play in all positions. Click here to view.
- On game day, coaches take up a position on the edge of the court. Once the game has begun the coach should not move after each quarter but should stay in the same place until the end of the fourth quarter.
- Coaches should not approach umpires during the game, only the designated captain can approach the umpires.
- If issues arise as a result of umpiring, inappropriate player or parent behaviour or any other inappropriate situation, the coach should ask the Team Manager to go to the control box and request the Umpire Supervisor come and assess the situation and intervene if necessary.
The ANC will provide each team with a Coaches Bag for use at training and the game. This bag includes:
- 1 Netball (new one provided each year)
- Drink Bottle Holder
- Rule Book
- First Aid Box
- Nail Clippers
- Clip Board
- Training bibs
Bags may be restocked at the Coaches and Managers annual information session or contact the Equipment co-ordinator via the club at other times (via firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Net-Set Go – Coaching Points
- The Netball Australia KNEE Program is an on court warm up program designed to enhance movement efficiency and prevent injury
- Down to Earth – A Practical Guide to Safe and Effective Landing in Netball
- IFNA Coaching Manual – This coaching resource has been developed by the International Federation of Netball Associations (IFNA)in furtherance of its mission to build a platform from which all IFNA Members can develop the sport and promote its core values. IFNA recognises that good coaching is a key component in achieving that mission and therefore, one of its strategies is to support and develop quality coaching across its entire membership. To view this manual, please click here.